Triathlon Pre-Race Information
- Wednesday, September 29th | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Thursday, September 30th | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Friday, October 1st | 9:30am – 2pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Friday, October 1st | 4:30pm – 6pm | Blue Sky Endurance, Mount Pleasant, SC
- Saturday, October 2nd | 2pm – 6pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Sunday, October 3rd | 5:30am – 6:30am | Night Heron Park outside TA
All race participants are required to show photo ID (driver’s license, passport or state issued ID) at Packet Pick-up. You may NOT have someone else pick up your packet.
- Saturday, October 2nd, 12pm-12:30pm, Boardwalk 18
Take advantage of your chance to get in the open water before race day with Blue Sky Endurance. Coach Billy Riley will lead athletes through how to best enter and exit the ocean on race day, as well as tips for ocean swimming and racing. Instruction will begin on land before heading to the open water to test your skills. Coach Billy Riley is a USAT Certified Coach and a seasoned triathlete. Clinic takes place on the beach at Boardwalk 18 which is located adjacent to Night Heron Park. Parking is available at Night Heron Park.
Participants should bring a suit, cap, goggles, towel, and a water bottle. A swim buoy is recommended, but not required. No lifeguards are present during the swim clinic. This event is complimentary, but reservations are required. To reserve your spot, please email Kiawah_Triathlon@KiawahResort.com, please include the names of all participants and a phone number.
- Saturday, October 2nd, 1pm-1:50pm, Night Heron Park
Race day is finally here! Make sure you are fully prepared for the big day with a total body stretch. This 50 minute class focuses on different stretching and breathing techniques to ensure your body is at its best for Sunday morning. Perfect for Triathletes or anyone looking for a full body experience.
$20 per person. Ages 13 and up. We recommend that you bring water, towel, and sunscreen. Reservations required, call 843.768.6001. A 24-hour cancellation policy applies. 3 person minimum for class to run. Schedule subject to change.
Early Bike Drop-Off
- Saturday, October 2nd, 2pm – 6pm, Transition Area
Have one less thing to think about race morning and rack your bike on Saturday! If you are taking advantage of our Saturday drop off, please secure your bike with a lock. Do not leave shoes, equipment, electronics or valuables overnight in the transition area. Transition area will be monitored overnight by Charleston County Police Deputies.
Please note that each athlete must have their race number to gain entry to the transition area. No other individuals are allowed entry into the transition area for any reason. On race morning, all transition equipment such as sunglasses, running shoes, bike helmets, water bottles, biking shoes, towels, etc. may be organized in your rack area.
- Saturday, October 2nd, 2pm-3pm, Night Heron Park
This transition clinic by Blue Sky Endurance will provide information on setting up your transition area and tips on more efficient transitions. Learn what to do before, during, and after T1 (swim to bike) and T2 (bike to run). This will be an interactive clinic – where attendees will be practicing transitioning with his/her own gear. Please bring your swim, cycling, and running gear (no bicycle needed) – as well as a towel and flip flops.
Event is complimentary. No reservations are required.
Nutrition for Long Distance Athletes
- Saturday, October 2nd, 3:30pm-4:15pm, Night Heron Park
Join registered dietitians, Kathryn Adel and Janet Carter for a nutrition workshop specifically geared towards triathletes and long distance runners. The 30-minute presentation will cover topics including preparation and recovery, followed by a 15-minute question and answer session.
Event is complimentary. No reservations are required.
Bike maintenance staff will be on hand in the transition area to assist with tire inflation and any last minute bike maintenance needs.
Portable bathrooms are available in and around the transition area and race venue.
Special rates on villas and homes are available through Kiawah Island Golf Resort, many within walking distance to the race start. Let our reservation specialists help make the most of your Tri-Kiawah experience, (800) 654-2924.
2019 or 2020 Registrations
- Athletes who deferred their 2019 or 2020 entry will be able to use their deferred entry for 2021. No refunds will be given.
- Athletes who have not used their reserved deferral link for the 2020 race will be sent a new link to re-register for 2021.
- Athletes who have already used their reserved deferral link for the 2020 race will be deferred to 2021 at no additional cost, and will be sent a new link to register for the 2021 race.
Triathletes, spectators, staff, and volunteers who are not feeling well should stay home, not participate in the Race and defer their race registration for one year. Please defer your race entry if:
- Have a suspected or diagnosed/confirmed case of COVID-19
- Are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, such as: cough, fever, chills, muscle pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell
- Have had exposure to a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 within 14 days of Race weekend, which begins on the Thursday before the Race.
- If for any reason you are unable to attend the 2021 Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon, we encourage you to defer your race registration. Deferrals will be accepted until 11:59pm on October 2nd.
Races are rain or shine unless we determine that race conditions are dangerous. If the race is cancelled there will be no refunds. This position is consistent with USAT recommendations and with the protocol of sharing the risks associated with the sport of triathlon. In the event of inclement weather, Acts of God, or unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to alter, cancel or eliminate any/all portions of the race. Each athlete must accept any such risk of their entry fee paid including other amenities paid for such as t-shirts, insurance, and online administrative fees. All fees collected are used to develop and produce the event, including all race supplies. In the event of inclement weather, the following is the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon plan of action.
Thunderstorms / Lightning
Race start may be delayed (up to 30 minutes) until weather conditions are safe. If weather continues, the event will be cancelled and a 50% credit will be issued for all participants that have picked up their bibs for the race. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
Unsafe ocean conditions (strong undertow / rough seas)
The event will be changed to a duathlon with a 24 mile Bike, 6 mile Run format. The decision to change to a duathlon may be made prior to race day or race morning. No refunds or credits will be issued.
Natural disaster (hurricane, tornado)
If the triathlon is cancelled due to natural disaster, a 50% credit will be issued for all registered Triathlon participants into either the next Kiawah event – the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon/Half Marathon of the same year- or the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon the following year.
USAT Swim Policy
Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon will follow the wetsuit guidelines set forth by USA Triathlon. Those guidelines state:
- USAT rules state that competitors may wear wetsuits without penalty if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower.
- USAT rules also state that if the water temperature is between 78.1 – 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits at their discretion, but will not be eligible for awards or prizes.
- If the water temperature is 84 degrees or above, participants may not wear wetsuits.