Triathlon Pre-Race Information
- September 27 | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- September 28 | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- September 29 | 9:30am – 2pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- September 29 | 4:30pm – 6pm | Blue Sky Endurance, Mount Pleasant, SC
- September 30 | 12:30pm – 6pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Race Day | 5:30am – 6:30am | Night Heron Park Pavilion
Per USAT rules, all race participants are required to show photo ID (driver’s license, passport or state issued ID) at Packet Pick-up. You may NOT have someone else pick up your packet.
- Saturday, 12pm-12:30pm, Boardwalk 18
Get in the open water before race day! Coach Cynthia Wahl, with Blue Sky Endurance, will lead athletes through how to best enter and exit the ocean on race day, as well as tips for ocean swimming and racing. Instruction will begin on land before heading to the open water.
Coach Cynthia Wahl has extensive experience in defeating top-tier races. Tackling the Alcatraz Challenge Finisher three times as well as being a 2x Ironman athlete. Coach Cynthia is a certified RRCA coach, along with being a certified Adult Learn to Swim Coach.
The swim clinic takes place on the beach at Boardwalk 18, which is located adjacent to Night Heron Park. Parking is available at Night Heron Park. Participants should bring a suit, cap, goggles, towel, and a water bottle. A swim buoy is recommended, but not required. No lifeguards are present during the swim clinic. This event is complimentary, but reservations are required. To reserve your spot, please email Kiawah_Triathlon@KiawahResort.com, including the names of all participants and a phone number.
Early Bike Drop-Off
- Saturday, 12:30pm – 6pm, Transition Area
Have one less thing to think about race morning and rack your bike on Saturday! If you are taking advantage of our Saturday drop off, please secure your bike with a lock. Do not leave shoes, equipment, electronics or valuables overnight in the transition area. Transition area will be monitored overnight by Charleston County Police Deputies.
Please note that each athlete must have their race number to gain entry to the transition area. No other individuals are allowed entry into the transition area for any reason. On race morning, all transition equipment such as sunglasses, running shoes, bike helmets, water bottles, biking shoes, towels, etc. may be organized in your rack area.
- Saturday, 2pm-3pm, Night Heron Park
This transition clinic by Blue Sky Endurance will provide information on setting up your transition area and tips on more efficient transitions. Learn what to do before, during, and after T1 (swim to bike) and T2 (bike to run). This will be an interactive clinic – where attendees will be practicing transitioning with his/her own gear. Please bring your swim, cycling, and running gear (no bicycle needed) – as well as a towel and flip flops.
Event is complimentary. No reservations are required.
Bike Rentals / Mechanics by Trek Bicycle Store
- Saturday, 12:30pm-6pm Night Heron Park
- Sunday, 5:30am-6:55am Transition Area
Bike rentals are available though Trek Bicycle Store of Charleston. Deadline for 2023 rentals is September 28th at 5pm. Trek Bicycle Store of Charleston will also be assisting participants on Saturday to fix minor bike repairs and will be in the transition area for tire inflation and bike maintenance needs on race day.
Our race staff understands that injuries, family emergencies, last-minute business plans, and life, in general, can keep you from participating in our event after you’ve registered. Though we do not offer refunds, we do offer the option of “deferment” (running the following year’s race instead.). It is important to note; deferments are only valid for one calendar and deferred runners are not eligible to pick up their race shirt or bib. Please see below for the simple steps on how to complete this process.
Deferring 2023 to 2024
Registered participants can defer to our 2024 Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon, which will be held on Sunday, October 6th, 2024. The deadline to defer is 11:59pm on September 30, 2023. Once deferred, you are NOT automatically registered for the 2024 race, there is further action required on your part when the 2024 race registration opens. There will be a $45 administration cost upon registering for 2024.
Once 2024 registration is open, deferred participants will be emailed a Reserved Entry link. It is important to hold off registering until you receive the link. Registering without your reserved entry link will result in being charged full price and we are unable to refund you. Please check junk/spam folders if you do not receive it in your inbox.
1. Go to RunSignup.com, and log into your profile.
2. Once you are logged in, click the gray circle with a person in the top right hand corner of your screen. This will navigate you to your profile page.
3. Select “Manage Registration” under your Kiawah Island Triathlon upcoming event.
4. At the top of the next page, select “Defer Registration”.
5. Lastly, click “Confirm Deferral”.
If for any reason you are unable to attend the 2023 Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon, we encourage you to defer your race registration. Deferrals will be accepted until 11:59pm on September 30th, 2023.
2022 Deferred Athletes
- All deferrals links must be used by 11:59pm EST on July 31st, 2023. Deferral registration links will expire on August 1st, 2023. Failure to register before this date will result in being required to register again at full price.
- Athletes who deferred their 2022 entry will be able to use their deferred entry for 2023. No refunds will be given. Emails were sent to all 2022 deferred athletes in January of 2023 that included a link to register for 2023 as a deferral.
- The administration fee associated with the 2022 deferral will be waived due to Hurricane Ian. Please note if the deferral is for 2023 to 2024 there will be a $45 administration fee.
- Deferrals are only valid for one calendar year. 2022 deferred athletes must register for our 2023 race. Deferrals from before 2022 are no longer eligible for usage.
- A confirmation email will be sent to verify your 2023 registration once completed. Your 2023 race entry is not valid until you receive this email.
Races are rain or shine unless we determine that race conditions are dangerous. If the race is cancelled there will be no refunds. This position is consistent with USAT recommendations and with the protocol of sharing the risks associated with the sport of triathlon. In the event of inclement weather, Acts of God, or unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to alter, cancel or eliminate any/all portions of the race. Each athlete must accept any such risk of their entry fee paid including other amenities paid for such as t-shirts, insurance, and online administrative fees. All fees collected are used to develop and produce the event, including all race supplies. In the event of inclement weather, the following is the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon plan of action.
Thunderstorms / Lightning
Race start may be delayed (up to 30 minutes) until weather conditions are safe. If weather continues, the event will be cancelled and a 50% credit will be issued for all participants that have picked up their bibs for the race. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
Unsafe ocean conditions (strong undertow / rough seas)
The event will be changed to a duathlon with a 24 mile Bike, 6 mile Run format. The decision to change to a duathlon may be made prior to race day or race morning. No refunds or credits will be issued.
Natural disaster (hurricane, tornado)
If the triathlon is cancelled due to natural disaster, a 50% credit will be issued for all registered Triathlon participants into either the next Kiawah event – the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon/Half Marathon of the same year- or the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon the following year.
USAT Swim Policy
Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon will follow the wetsuit guidelines set forth by USA Triathlon. Those guidelines state:
- USAT rules state that competitors may wear wetsuits without penalty if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower.
- USAT rules also state that if the water temperature is between 78.1 – 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits at their discretion, but will not be eligible for awards or prizes.
- If the water temperature is 84 degrees or above, participants may not wear wetsuits.