Triathlon Pre-Race Information
- August, 15, 2021
Swimmers of all ages and levels are invited to take part in our Swim Across America Charleston / Kiawah charity swim. Choose a distance, 1.5-mile or 0.5-mile ocean swim, or sign up as an event volunteer. Your participation will help us “Make Waves to Fight Cancer” and raise money locally for cancer research at Hollings Cancer Center at the Medical University of South Carolina. This event will serve as the official practice swim for the Kiawah Island Triathlon.
Swim Across America is a national non-profit that runs swimming-related events throughout the country to support cancer research at the most highly recognized hospitals and institutions. To date, more than $80 million has been raised nationwide by Swim Across America, and more than 100 Olympians have participated in SAA events. For more information, visit www.swimacrossamerica.org .
- Wednesday, September 29th | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Thursday, September 30th | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Friday, October 1st | 9:30am – 4pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Friday, October 1st | 4:30pm – 6pm | Blue Sky Endurance, Mount Pleasant, SC
- Saturday, October 2nd | 2pm – 6pm | Heron Park Nature Center
- Sunday, October 3rd | 5:30am – 6:30am | Night Heron Park outside TA
All race participants are required to show photo ID (driver’s license, passport or state issued ID) at Packet Pick-up. You may NOT have someone else pick up your packet.
Early Bike Drop-Off
- Saturday, October 2nd, 2pm – 6pm, TA
Have one less thing to think about race morning and rack your bike on Saturday! If you are taking advantage of our Saturday drop off, please secure your bike with a lock. Do not leave shoes, equipment, electronics or valuables overnight in the transition area. Transition area will be monitored overnight by Charleston County Police Deputies.
Please note that each athlete must have their race number to gain entry to the transition area. No other individuals are allowed entry into the transition area for any reason. On race morning, all transition equipment such as sunglasses, running shoes, bike helmets, water bottles, biking shoes, towels, etc. may be organized in your rack area.
- Saturday, October 2nd, 2pm-3pm, Night Heron Park Pavilion (tentative)
Get some tips on how to improve your time in the transition area from these Triathlon experts from Blue Sky Endurance. Great for beginning triathletes or anyone looking to improve their time in the race.
Information coming soon.
Bike maintenance staff will be on hand in the transition area to assist with tire inflation and any last minute bike maintenance needs.
Portable bathrooms are available in and around the transition area and race venue.
Special rates on villas and homes are available through Kiawah Island Golf Resort, many within walking distance to the race start. Let our reservation specialists help make the most of your Tri-Kiawah experience, (800) 654-2924.
The 2020 to 2021 Triathlon Deferral Program
- Registered athletes can defer to our 2021 Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon, which will be held on October 3, 2021.
- To defer, select the Defer My Registration to 2021 option. Please note: this does not automatically register you for the 2021 race; there is further action required on your part when the 2021 race registration opens.
- Once 2021 registration is open, deferred participants will be emailed a link so that they may register for the 2021 race, update personal information, and sign the 2021 waiver. There will be no additional costs for registration at that time.
The 2019 Deferral to 2021 Registration
- Athletes who deferred their 2019 entry to 2020 will be able to use their deferred entry for 2021. No refunds will be given.
- Athletes who have not used their reserved deferral link for the 2020 race will be sent a new link to re-register for 2021.
- Athletes who have already used their reserved deferral link for the 2020 race will be deferred to 2021 at no additional cost, and will be sent a new link to register for the 2021 race.
Races are rain or shine unless we determine that race conditions are dangerous. If the race is cancelled there will be no refunds. This position is consistent with USAT recommendations and with the protocol of sharing the risks associated with the sport of triathlon. In the event of inclement weather, Acts of God, or unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to alter, cancel or eliminate any/all portions of the race. Each athlete must accept any such risk of their entry fee paid including other amenities paid for such as t-shirts, insurance, and online administrative fees. All fees collected are used to develop and produce the event, including all race supplies. In the event of inclement weather, the following is the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon plan of action.
Thunderstorms / Lightning
Race start may be delayed (up to 30 minutes) until weather conditions are safe. If weather continues, the event will be cancelled and a 50% credit will be issued for all participants that have picked up their bibs for the race. No refunds will be issued if the event is cancelled due to inclement weather.
Unsafe ocean conditions (strong undertow / rough seas)
The event will be changed to a duathlon with a 24 mile Bike, 6 mile Run format. The decision to change to a duathlon may be made prior to race day or race morning. No refunds or credits will be issued.
Natural disaster (hurricane, tornado)
If the triathlon is cancelled due to natural disaster, a 50% credit will be issued for all registered Triathlon participants into either the next Kiawah event – the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon/Half Marathon of the same year- or the Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon the following year.
USAT Swim Policy
Kiawah Island Golf Resort Triathlon will follow the wetsuit guidelines set forth by USA Triathlon. Those guidelines state:
- USAT rules state that competitors may wear wetsuits without penalty if the water temperature is 78 degrees or lower.
- USAT rules also state that if the water temperature is between 78.1 – 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits at their discretion, but will not be eligible for awards or prizes.
- If the water temperature is 84 degrees or above, participants may not wear wetsuits.