Kiawah Press Releases
Kiawah Island, SC, March 22, 2018 – Kiawah Island Golf Resort announced that it has launched a series of major projects that will further enhance the property’s world-class amenities. The internationally recognized resort, located on a barrier island 21 miles south of historic Charleston South Carolina, has broken ground on the first stage of redevelopment, which will continue through the end of 2020 in time to host the PGA Championship in May 2021.
The projects consist of:
- A new 150-room luxury beachfront hotel with dining, spa, retail and ballroom
- A new state-of-the-art conference center featuring a 10,529-square-foot core meeting space and 11 breakout rooms totaling 3,815 square feet
- A new Cougar Point Clubhouse containing a full-service pro shop, a sports tavern, a bar and locker rooms
- A new villa check-in
- A new 150-seat chapel connected to The Sanctuary hotel
- Two new two-story, four-bedroom rental cottages adjacent to The Ocean Course Clubhouse
- Consolidation of all tennis programs at Roy Barth Tennis Center with 10 new Har-Tru HydroCourts and fully resurfaced existing courts, as well as the addition of locker rooms
- A completely reimagined and enhanced Night Heron Park, with a new Nature Center, Pavilion, other activities spaces and dining, including the relocation of The Town Center Market
“These developments mark an exciting chapter in Kiawah Island Golf Resort’s notable history,” said Kiawah Island Golf Resort President Roger Warren. “The developments will completely revitalize the West Beach area, which formed the nucleus of the resort when it was first developed in 1976, but it will also enhance and complement the world-class facilities, amenities and programs that Kiawah has been proud to offer its guests over the past decades.”
The West Beach Village buildings and The Ocean Course Cottages are designed by the world-renowned Robert A.M. Stern Architects of New York and New Haven. The Sanctuary Chapel and Night Heron Park projects are designed by award-winning architectural firms SMHa of Mount Pleasant, S.C. Interior design is by Kent Interior Design of Atlanta. The general contractor is Choate Construction Company, managed from its Charleston offices.
The projects will break ground in spring and summer of 2018 with projected completion dates as follows (subject to vary):
- Roy Barth Tennis Center – fall 2018
- Cougar Point Clubhouse and The Ocean Course Cottages – spring 2019
- Sanctuary Chapel – summer 2019
- West Beach Village Conference Center and Villa Check-in – fall 2019
- New Boutique Hotel – fall 2020
- Night Heron Park – winter 2020
Located along 10 miles of pristine beach less than 30 miles south of Charleston, S.C., Kiawah Island Golf Resort is consistently rated as one of the country’s top resorts. It includes The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, the resort’s ultra-luxury 255-room hotel and spa – and nearly 500 private villas and luxury homes, five championship golf courses, including The Ocean Course – host of the 1991 Ryder Cup, the 2012 PGA Championship and upcoming 2021 PGA Championship. For 10 of the past 12 years, the resort has ranked as the number one tennis resort in the world by TennisResortsOnline.com, and features a renowned recreation and nature program. Beginning spring 2018, Kiawah Island Golf Resort launched a three-year development that will greatly enhance the resort’s already world-class amenities. For more information, visit www.kiawahresort.com.
2021 PGA Kiawah Press
The 103rd edition of the Championship 2021 returns to the renowned Pete Dye-designed oceanfront layout in South Carolina after its first visit in 2012, when Rory McIlroy captured the Wanamaker Trophy by a record-setting margin. The Ocean Course is one of four venues to host each of the PGA of America’s major championships – The Ryder Cup (1991), the Senior PGA Championship presented by KitchenAid (2007) and the PGA Championship. The Ocean Course also hosted the 2005 PGA Professional National Championship.
The PGA Championship also is the only one of golf’s four majors to be hosted in South Carolina. The announcement was made with Kiawah Island Golf Resort Chairman Bill Goodwin
The PGA Championship, the only all-professional major, features one of the deepest international fields in golf. Since 1994, it has perennially featured the most top-100 players in the Official World Golf Rankings of all golf Championships.
The Ocean Course has more seaside holes than any other courses in North America — 10 along the Atlantic Ocean with the other eight running parallel to those.
Designed from a ribbon of pristine sand dunes stretching nearly three miles along the Atlantic Ocean at the eastern end of Kiawah Island, The Ocean Course is par-72 layout that can be extended to 7,676 yards and is reminiscent of the great seaside links of England and Scotland.
If you need a particular photo for reproduction, please contact our Director of Public Relations Bryan K. Hunter and you will be given a URL to a website where you can choose the photos. If you are a meeting planner designing a brochure, the resort requires to see a proof before publication.
If you need additional information, please contact resort marketing.
- Photography Available at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (pdf)
- Kiawah Island Golf Resort Awards (pdf)
- Golf at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (pdf)
- The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (pdf)
- Tennis at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (pdf)
- Recreation Activities at Kiawah Island Golf Resort (pdf)
- Real Estate on Kiawah Island (pdf)
- About Charleston, South Carolina (pdf)
- Kiawah Island Quote Sheet (pdf)
- Media Quotes About The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island (pdf)
- Kiawah Island Golf Resort Sustainability (pdf)