Five Blue Space Benefits
As the world became (and continues to become) more urbanized, experts have long studied and extolled the virtues of being surrounded by green space—including forests, woods and open areas covered by grass, shrubs or vegetation. And the unprecedented last two years have placed an even higher premium on the importance of outdoor spaces for our physical and mental A growing body of scientific research supports the positive effects of “blue space” on our psychological wellbeing.
So what is blue space? Essentially, it can be any body of water — oceans, seas, lakes, ponds, rivers, marshes and the like.
Marine biologist and author of Blue Mind: The Surprising Science That Shows How Being Near, In, On, or Under Water Can Make You Happier, Healthier, More Connected and Better at What You Do, Wallace J. Nichols, explains, “We are beginning to learn that our brains are hardwired to react positively to water and that being near it can calm and connect us, increase innovation and insight and even heal what’s broken.” Whereas our lived experiences allow us to intuit this important relationship between human health and watery environs — which is why humans have long sought destinations largely dominated by water to recharge and rejuvenate — the science behind it further confirms our intuition.
Nichols goes on to identify five key benefits of blue space:
- Brain breaks. Our overstimulating digital world doesn’t leave a lot of downtime for our minds. Blue space gives our brains a much-needed cognitive break.
- Meditative states. When you’re feeling relaxed, but mindful—as you do when you’re by or on the water—stress and anxiety are decreased while mental clarity and focus are improved.
- Sense of connection. Nichols notes, “[That feeling of awe you experience by the water] switches you from a ‘me’ orientation to a ‘we’ orientation.”
- Creativity boost. Blue space triggers our brains to go into a “default mode network” where daydreaming, imagination, insight and introspection live — this is essential for inspiring creativity and finding new solutions.
- Healthy uplift. Both exercise and being by water are good for our bodies and our brains. When you combine them, these benefits increase exponentially.
Kiawah Island Golf Resort delivers an abundance of blue space for meetings of any size, surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, Kiawah River, plentiful lagoons and unspoiled marshlands across a 10-mile-long barrier island in South Carolina’s Lowcountry. This environment sets the perfect scene to reduce attendees’ stress levels, sharpen their focus, better connect with each other and inspire creative thought for the next big idea. These are effects the ProMeetings team witnesses almost daily in the groups who gather at the resort.
Our combined 90,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor meeting venues grant your team easy access to the island’s impressive variety of blue — and green — spaces. Newly opened in spring of 2020, the West Beach Conference Center alone provides 23,000-square feet of flexible pre-event and meeting space — including a 10,000-square-foot ballroom equipped with state-of-the-art technology and stunning outdoor areas. Breakout rooms feature oversized windows, inviting Kiawah Island’s inspiring outdoors even to indoor sessions.
Want to get your team into a blue state of mind at Kiawah Island Golf Resort even sooner? Contact our sales team to discover the perfect time of year for your group gathering.
Contact Marty Couch at 800.576.1585 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find available dates, take advantage of attractive pricing and learn more about how the ProMeetings team can make your next group gathering a tremendous success.