Business Golf: By the Numbers
There’s an upswing in golf meetings and good reasons why the game scores big benefits for business. Did you know an estimated 90% of Fortune 500 CEOs play golf? Among business professionals, 54% consider golf the perfect networking tool, and executives who play golf make 17% more than those who don’t.* This is the game where everyone wins, so with the help of Brian Gerard, PGA, Director of Golf for Kiawah’s five courses and its golf school, the ProMeetings team put together the top reasons to make your next event a business golf meeting:
1. Everyone is game for golf. Players of all ages, skill levels and athletic abilities can enjoy the game, thanks to the handicap system that establishes an even ground and fun for all. And while many groups look forward to playing the traditional 18 holes on one of Kiawah’s championship courses, there are many more possibilities that could hit the sweet spot for your group (see #5 below).
2. Networking? Par for the course. Golf allows plenty of time for relaxed camaraderie, gaining fresh perspectives and talking shop with your fellow players, without the stress and demands of everyday business. It’s a chance to build rapport and connection – and a great opportunity to establish or strengthen business relationships and collaborations.
3. Know thy partner. Golf is a fine test of character that rewards those who play with integrity, remain calm under pressure and think strategically (just like business). Playing a round reveals personal qualities and gives you insights to better understand fellow players as colleagues and business partners.
4. Raise the score on teamwork. Many companies find the spirit and values of golf help build teams and strengthen their organization. With many employees working remotely, companies realize that getting their team together is more important than ever. Integrating golf with those meetings adds an element that encourages groups to network and socialize.
5. Aim for fun and variety. Can’t fit in 18 holes? No worries. Engage and entertain your group with a break or reception alongside a putting green, where they can pair off and participate in a miniature-golf contest. Or gather the team at the resort’s golf school for a low-stress recreational clinic that can meet the needs of beginner through advanced golfers. At Kiawah, we can customize an event especially for your group and agents.
It’s a thrill for everyone to play where champions have triumphed, and Kiawah has been privileged to host world-class events and the game’s greatest players. Memorable moments include Rory McIlroy’s victory at the 2012 PGA Championship and the electrifying 1991 Ryder Cup matches. And we can’t wait to host the PGA Championship in 2021! Let us help you plan a golf event to develop your business, build your team or thank your clients and employees. You’ll have a choice of five championship courses:
The Ocean Course | Your group can boast about playing this world-renowned Pete Dye design ahead of the 2021 PGA Championship. It’s one of only four courses in the U.S. to have hosted every major PGA event. This panoramic oceanfront course has a place on every serious golfer’s bucket list.
Turtle Point | Your team will find a true test of their accuracy and mental game on this Jack Nicklaus course. They’ll need to keep a sharp focus to excel on its narrow fairways and undersized greens surrounded by thoughtfully placed water hazards and abundant out-of-bounds.
Cougar Point | Golfers can mix things up on Gary Player’s Cougar Point with its fantastic variety of short and long par-4s, great risk/reward par-5s and extremely scenic and challenging par-3s.
Oak Point | This Clyde Johnston design re-opened in 2015 after an extensive renovation that included regressing the tees, fairways and greens with Paspalum Platinum, returning greens and tees to their original sizes and shapes and recontouring bunkers and fairways.
Kiawah’s premium golf experience extends to its beautiful clubhouses and talented staff of PGA/LPGA Certified Instructors. Add to this the support of Kiawah’s dedicated conference team – all in the destination consistently voted among the top golf resorts in the nation – and you’ve found a winning venue. To learn more about hosting a golf event at Kiawah Island Golf Resort, contact our Director of Group Sales Marty Couch and his team at 800.576.1585. You can also take advantage of incredible savings for your late fall or winter meeting: