Kids Splash and Dash
The Kiawah Kids Triathlon is now the Kids Splash and Dash: A timed race, featuring a pool swim and run, for children ages 3 to 14. The event will be held at 4pm on Saturday, April 11, 2020 in Night Heron Park. Registration will open late winter.
When: April 11th 2020, 4pm
Location: Night Heron Park, Kiawah Island
Ages: 3 – 14 years
Facebook: Kiawah Island Triathlon
REGISTER FOR SPLASH AND DASH (registration opening on February 3rd)
Transition Clinic & Race Course Familiarization
Race Day, 1pm – 2pm at Night Heron Park
Join us for a complimentary clinic, sponsored by Palmetto TRIbe. Palmetto TRIbe’s USAT Certified Coaches will lead attendees through proper transition mat setup, followed by a course familiarization “jog-through”. The course familiarization will include guiding athletes through key course areas and transition. Athletes should wear running shoes to the clinic. This event is free and no registration is required. Meet at Night Heron Park next to the stage.
(Kiawah Splash and Dash is a United States Triathlon Association sanctioned event. Annual membership to the USTA is available and required at registration. Everyone is welcome to join USAT, and all youth memberships are valid for one year. For more information, please check out USAT’s website.
The Kiawah Island Golf Resort Kids Splash and Dash aims to provide a challenging course and strives to make all participants feel accomplished. Good sportsmanship and fair play is encouraged and required of all athletes, parents and spectators. In order to provide a safe and fun event, we request that parents review the rules with their athletes prior to race day. Race staff and volunteers will be on site to answer questions and to reiterate and enforce rules. While the distances vary by age group, all participants will swim in the Night Heron Park family pool and run on bike paths or beach near Night Heron Park. We will end the race with an epic rockin’ Color Party at the finish line with DJ music and some healthy snacks. We are not disqualifying or adjusting times for any participant who does not complete their required distance.
Ages 3-6: 25 meter swim, 0.50 mile run
Ages 7-10: 125 meter swim, 1.5 mile run
Ages 11-14: 225 meter swim, 3 mile run
Race Day, Night Heron Park, Kiawah Island.
Athletes will receive a bib, shirt, wristband, timing chip, and body marking at packet pick-up. Please have your child wear the wristband on their left arm so they can be easily identified by age group on the course. Chip and timing bracelet should be on their right ankle. Please remember there is a charge for lost chips, so please return chip at the finish line.
Transition Area (TA)
The TA (Transition Area) is the area where athletes transition between the swim to the run.
Setting up your TA
Race day the TA will open in advance for athletes to set up their running shoes and clothes.
- Parents may assist their athletes in setting up their TA pre-race.
- TA will close to parents 15 minutes before race start.
- Triathlon staff and volunteers will also be on hand to assist.
- Our Triathlon staff, lifeguards and volunteers will be on the pool deck for questions and assistance.
- The race will start ‘in water’, no jumping or diving into the pool.
- No running on the pool deck at any time.
- Parents and spectators may cheer on athletes from the viewing area on the side of the pool.
- Athletes in the 3–6 age group will be accompanied by race staff while in the pool.
- Life jackets, kick boards, water noodles, puddle jumpers and water wings are permitted for 3 to 6 year olds.
- No artificial propulsive devices such as fins, paddles, or gloves may be used.
- Goggles or face masks may be worn but are not required.
- Signs, cones, and race staff will direct participants out of the pool and into the TA.
- In the 7-10 year old and 11-14 year old age groups parents are not allowed on the course at any time.
- With 3-6 year olds, parents may run with their athletes, although we ask they be conscientious of older athletes attempting to pass.
- Multiple age groups may be on the run route at the same time; athletes must be courteous of others.
General Event Rules
- In the 7-14 year olds groups, parental assistance is not permitted on the race course or in the TA once the race has begun.
- No personal audio devices or headsets may be used or carried during any portion of the event.
- In the events of cancellation, refunds will not be given.