Dr. Beach ranks Kiawah a Top Ten Beach
For the 12th straight year, Professor Stephen Leatherman – better known as Dr. Beach – has included Kiawah Island among his annual ranking of the nation’s top 10 beaches. Landing one of the enviable spots on Dr. Beach’s list rests on earning high marks on 50 criteria, including cleanliness, safety, beach width, wildlife and amenities.
Kiawah Island Golf Resort wholeheartedly agrees with Dr. Beach’s criteria, but we have our own reasons for thinking that our 10 miles of pristine beach is tops. While we may not have quite 50, here are seven reasons we believe Kiawah Island Golf Resort offers one of the best beach experiences in the U.S.
- Yoga on the beach – Of course you can do yoga anywhere – and probably on any beach, but how many places can you do yoga on the beach and then take a quick stroll up a boardwalk to a Five Star hotel and spa?
- Wildlife ON THE BEACH — Nesting loggerhead sea turtles, deer and bobcats, O my! – There’s a reason Audubon International has certified The Sanctuary (the entire resort, in fact) as part of its Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program.
- 10 miles of hard-packed sand and the perfect bikes to ride from end-to-end.
- Don’t pack a cooler, we’ll bring the drinks to you – Did you know The Sanctuary’s beach chair and umbrella service is complimentary for hotel guests? And one of our beach service staff will happily take your orders for food and drink from the hotel’s poolside Loggerhead Grill. After all, you’re here to relax, and we’re here to make sure you don’t have to lift a finger in the process.
- Dozens of boardwalks are scattered along the beach – No matter where on the island you stay, whether in The Sanctuary or in a Villa or Luxury Home, the island is dotted with well-marked and -maintained boardwalks. And since the island is only a mile-and-a-half wide at its widest point, getting to our top rated beach is never a drag.
- Captain Sam’s Spit – One reason Dr. Beach consistently ranks Kiawah Island among his Top 10 beaches is because of the largely unspoiled nature of our beach. For a true escape to nature, bike out to the far west end of the island to Captain Sam’s Spit. You’ll find yourself on one of the last remaining stretches of undeveloped beach in South Carolina.
- What better place to Tie the knot! – What more romantic place to start hearing wedding bells than being surrounded by all this natural beauty? Getting ready to tie the knot? Why not do it on one of the nation’s top ten beaches – and leave the details to us. If you want to see the beach but skip the sand, the two lawns at The Sanctuary and the terrace nestled beside The Ocean Course clubhouse provide unbeatable oceanfront wedding and reception venues.
Next time you stay with us, we invite you to relax and recreate on our award-winning beach – and ponder the reasons it ranks at the top of your personal list.